Tuscany is called a paradise of cyclists and wherever you go you‘ll meet many other cyclism lovers here. Tuscany has many different itineraries for two wheeled enthusiasts, from beginners to professionals, and to all wishing enjoy the natural and cultural beauty of Tuscany.
In Tuscany you can choose from a variety of itineraries: paved roads crossing the region, gravel roads of the countryside, off roads in the mountains, cobbled streets of the small villages, etc. Every area in Tuscany offers routes rich in interesting places to visit and see as well as extraordinary panoramas. Actually, you do not really need a special itinerary, you can take a the bike and ride to the nearest village admiring the scenery.
However, if you are looking for the most beautiful and most spectacular cycling itinerary in Tuscany, it‘s definitely L’Eroica. L‘Eroica covers many beautiful areas of the region crossing the Chianti around Siena, the Crete Senesi and the Val d’Orcia. Over the years it has become a must for cycling lovers. The path is open to all, it can be completed in one or more days by anyone who wants to test their skills or simply wander the area by bike. You can also get a special road book that you can use to collect the stamps along the route and receive the “diploma”. More about the permanent rout you can find HERE.
You can also take part in the actual competition called L‘Eroica. The starting point is in Greve in Chianti and the race is made up of stages that range in distance from 38 to 200 kilometres, mainly on dirt roads: this is why the name of the event literally means “heroic”. cycling itinerary in Tuscany called L’Eroica has also a food and wine tradition; in fact, the stops along the race are places of fun and enjoyment, where cyclists can eat Tuscan specialties. More information HERE.
Tips for biking in Tuscany:
• Tuscany is mostly a hilly territory, be ready to do some work out; if you‘re looking for more easy and pleasant ride, choose the seaside and the „Costa degli Etruschi“ region;
• the best periods for cycling in Tuscany are March-June and September-October. The months of July and August are very hot, save your health;
• you don‘t need to bring your bike from home, just rent it for one afternoon, entire day or whole week;
• while cycling stop along the way to savor traditional food of Tuscany and visit antique cantinas;
• before going watch Arūnas Matelis documentary „Wonderful Losers: A Different World“.