Today on our weekly chapter of Italian Recipes we offer you to try authentic italian recipe of Spaghetti alla puttanesca (literally “whore’s style spaghetti” in Italian). Spaghetti alla puttanesca is a tangy, somewhat salty Italian pasta dish invented in the mid-20th century. The ingredients are typical of Southern Italian cuisine: tomatoes, olive oil, olives, capers, and garlic. There are several theories to explain its name “whore’s pasta”, one being that the ladies who worked in the brothels (state-owned, by the way, in the 1950s) only had one day a week in which to do their grocery shopping. They came up with specialities using ingredients that would always be in the larder.
Puttanesca Pasta Sauce is a great, quick pasta sauce to make while your pasta is cooking.
• 1 chilli pepper
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 2 tsp capers, rinsed and drained
• 20-25 black olives
• 1 anchovy fillet (optional)
• 300 ml bottled or canned crushed tomato
• Pinch dried oregano
• Olive oil, parmesan cheese
• Stir fry the chilli pepper, garlic, capers, anchovy if using and olives in a good swirl of olive oil (1 minute).
• Add the crushed tomato and oregano and bring to the boil.
• Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Serve with al dente pasta. Add parmesan cheese if you wish.